Middle Eastern Tofrittata - Swap Egg for Tofu!
By Sinead Ryan, Recipe Developer for Nutritank and a 2nd year Medical Student at Cardiff University
This quick and easy oven-bake dish is a plant-based alternative to a frittata - using tofu instead of egg. It is packed full of different coloured plants, each containing different antioxidants, ideal for optimising your immune system!
This recipe serves 4 hungry and busy people (1 serving pictured to the left).
Any vegetables can be used for the filling as it’s a versatile recipe. I chose to use the vegetables that I had leftover in my fridge.
300g sweet potato, grated
240g firm tofu
120ml plant-based milk
8g dijon mustard
15g Nutritional Yeast
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar)
3 garlic cloves
1 chili pepper (deseed according to preference)
2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
½ tsp turmeric
Dash of black pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
30ml water if necessary
1) Grate sweet potato
2) Cover the bottom of an oven safe dish
3) Bake at 180 °C for 20 minutes
4) Blend all tofu filling ingredients in a food processor.
Add water a bit at a time, you want to have a runny consistency to marinate the vegetables in.
5) Transfer into a large mixing bowl.
6) Add and stir in spices, tamari and chili pepper
7) Add and stir in chopped vegetables and beans.
Add extra water if necessary to ensure all vegetables and beans are submerged.
8) Optional: Allow to sit and marinate for 30 mins – 1 hour
9) Pour tofu vegetable mix on top of grated sweet potato into oven dish.
Pack tightly and flatten using spatula
10) Bake at 180 °C for 30-40 minutes
11) To make tahini dressing, mix together tahini, lime, salt and pepper
12) Allow to cool for 15 mins and top with garnishes