Buddha Bowl - Funky Salad Galore!
By Sinead Ryan, Recipe Developer for Nutritank and a 2nd year Medical Student at Cardiff University
This quick, hearty, throw-together salad, bursting with flavour, is a great ‘go-to’ meal idea for when you are busy! Doubling or tripling the quantities also make it perfect for days ahead as it can be eaten hot or cold!
This recipe serves 2 hungry and busy people (1 serving pictured).
Any vegetables can be used – the more the merrier…and prettier!
200g sweet potato, diced
60g red cabbage, chopped
100g mushrooms, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced finely
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 Heck Vegan Breakfast Sausages (Linda McCartney Sausages are also a favourite)
1 can of beans (borlotti, black, mixed pulses, lentils)
2 large tomatoes
1 avocado, chopped
Juice of ½ lime
1 tbsp Italian Mixed Herbs (or freshly picked parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme, mint)
Dash of dried mint
Dash of salt and pepper
½ chili pepper according to taste
Roasted sunflower seeds
1) Follow packet instructions for the sausages
2) Add sweet potato to steamer
3) After 10 minutes, add red cabbage and mushrooms to the steamer
4) After 2 minutes, add onion and garlic to steamer
5) Once cooked, throw into bowls.
6) Drain and rinse canned beans.
Add half a can to each bowl.
7) Roughly chop tomato and avocado.
Add half to each bowl.
8) Add ‘flavourings’.
9) Mix altogether
10) Add seeds, sauerkraut and hummus if you fancy!